Thursday, January 27, 2011

Paprika chicken with egg noodles



I made this before and I really like it. The orignial recipe called for peppers and onions and you can always add them in if you like but since I don't eat either I made it without. Also the recipe originally called for more stock but I've found both times I've made it that if you use the whole 2 cups it ends up very soupy so I think next time 1 1/2 will be better.


Ingredients:
Salt
1/2 pound extra-wide egg noodles
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken, dark or white meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
Black Pepper
Poultry seasoning
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
2 round tablespoons ground sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped cornichons or baby gherkin pickles


1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt the water, and cook the noodles to al dente.

2. While the water is coming to a boil, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning and brown the meat for a few minutes on each side.


3. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook until just fragrant (if your going to add peppers you would remove the chicken and add the peppers and onions now cooking them until tender about 7-8 mins)


4. Stir in the paprika, allspice and stock. When the stock comes to a bubble, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat and stire in the sour cream.



5. Drain the egg noodles and return them to the hot pot. Toss with the butter, dill and chives to coat.



6. Ladle the chicken over the noodles in shallow bowls and top with gherkin pickles.



I know you're probably thinking pickles on my noodle and chicken dish?!?! Because when I first read that I thought the same thing, but trust me, it's actually really good!

1 comment: